Filing for divorce when your spouse can’t be found

February 28, 2017 10:20 pm

What do you do when you want to file for divorce, but you don’t know where your spouse is? Massachusetts is a little different from other states. If you don’t know where your spouse is your lawyer is going to file a Motion for Alternate Service.  This motion contains information like where you were married and the address where your spouse last resided. Some states require a search to locate the missing spouse. This can be a very stressful and prolonged period of time. Luckily, Massachusetts does not require an exhaustive search. After the motion is filed your lawyer will obtain a divorce summons and a legal notice from the clerk of courts. This notice must be sent to a newspaper (chosen by the court) and published once a week for three weeks. A copy is also mailed, by certified mail, to the last known residence of your spouse.

Have questions? Learn more at or or call the office today!

This post was written by sperling